Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts

Go down 
+58
KnottyEagle
my95riv
c0reyl
Abaddon
dbs99riv
Tha Great Riviera SC95
chitown_riv98
abaucom
highwaywarrior
RidzRiv
LARRY70GS
2000ws6transam
rk0ehn
DEMonte1997
setsuna57
dboydakid
RivieraTim
95rivy
BMD
97 park ave
flyineagle96
epic612
Lenrapkins
VegasScott
gabbysRiviera
Riviboi95
madrivage
Hard4unot2
nigelf
Eldo
robotennis61
RivieraRyan
mikemc
lionfish
hotrod58
98riv
Rickw
Chicken
Supercharged
daltonultra
andrzejsze
Buickman104
AA
deekster_caddy
ewolfe0050
Mr.Riviera
Turbocharged400sbc
98RIV7777
1998 Riv
albertj
BillBoost37
steve1173
97rivman
turtleman
oldsman105
Jack the R
62 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
RivieraRyan
Enthusiast

Merit : 7

motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 7:44 pm

Well I took it to a shop yesterday and they told me my. 1-4 coil is not responding and one of my wires is caught in the radiator fan. The guy said he couldn't diagnose the problem further until those things are fixed. My mechanic is supposed to replace the coil and wire on Saturday.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 7:58 pm

AND DONT FORGET TO CLEAN YOUR AIR IDLE CONTROL VALVE!!!!
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 10:26 pm

Robotennis -1
Street Mechanic - 0

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

Name : Mark
Merit : 104

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 06, 2010 10:41 pm

Well, the IAC isn't going to affect you at 40MPH, but neither are the motor mounts... The mounts shift/lurch/make noise when the load is changed (like shifting gears.) Between your comments and your SES light and your plug wires and your DTC's, you have an ignition problem regardless of your mounts' condition.
Back to top Go down
RivieraRyan
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 10:55 am

My mechanic replaced the wire connected to my 1-4 coil because it was split in half due to the radiator fan and the car ran better however it still makes a rough noise and shakes when just sitting. My mechanic said the shaking is because I need motor mounts. Also my ses light is still on and I noticed I wasn't getting as much pick up as I should when pressing down the gas pedal so he changes the fuel filter and and sprayed cleaner in the air throttle hose and then reset the battery and the ses light came right back on. What else could it be? When I shift from p to r my car bucks really hard sometimes so imm certain I need mounts. I believe I found some for 37 a piece on this one website. I will post the link later because I would like to kno if they are the right ones before I purchase them. I am due for an oil change which I will get sometime this week but what other explanations can there be? I love my car! I don't want it to die on me.
Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 2:13 pm

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but if this mechanic was any good, now that the plug wire has been replaced he'd be scanning the DTC's (trouble codes) that are setting the light...

If he disconnected the battery to try to clear the codes, he obviously doesn't have a scan-tool. You need to find someone who has the proper equipment and is familiar with GM electronics.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 4:59 pm

agree with Eldo: The codes need to be read.

Please post a link to the motor mounts you found.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

Name : Matthew
Merit : 101

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 11:21 pm

If you have a 96+ take the car to autozone and have the codes read (it's free).
let us know what the code is. I'd bet it's a P0300 or misfire code.

My guess is you still have an ignition problem. the car will drive surprising "fine" with one cylinder down.
Get a set of acdelco wires, AL605 plugs and install them making certain they are going to the correct coil pack. We'll go from there once you find the code.

Back to top Go down
RivieraRyan
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 10:38 am

I can't post a link to the mounts because my phone won't allow me to. However, the website is bestvalueautoparts.com . I have a 95 riviera sc. I put my vin # in and searched for the engine mounts but if you search 95 riviera sc they should come up under engine parts. They are like 31 bucks! But are they the correct ones? My mechanic does not have the engine diagnostic tool but he can repair any issue and is dirt cheap. I just need to know what the issue is. I dont want to pay another 65 dollars to find out a thing or two like I did last week w/ the wire and coil. I want to know everything. I saw a commercial for aamco on tv that said they will diagnose the check engine light for free til end of jan. I think I will go by there on Thursday.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

Name : Rick
Merit : 119

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 12:27 pm

I looked at that site and pulled up the engine mounts for the 1998 and it looks like they may actually have something for the fromt and rear trans mounts (what is referred to as left and right)
For the Front or Left it appears they have a replacement rubber center for our existing mount, around $30.00. Would just have to chisel out old one and urethane this one in.
And it shows a picture for the Rear or Right mount, just not sure from the pic if it's correct or not but it is just over $100.00 instead of the OEM price of $300.00
These are the ones that go bad most commonly and cause the rocking of the motor back and forth.
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 12:32 pm

RivieraRyan wrote:
My mechanic does not have the engine diagnostic tool but he can repair any issue and is dirt cheap. I just need to know what the issue is. I dont want to pay another 65 dollars to find out a thing or two like I did last week w/ the wire and coil. I want to know everything. I saw a commercial for aamco on tv that said they will diagnose the check engine light for free til end of jan. I think I will go by there on Thursday.

You can't just throw parts at a code. It will cost you more in parts in the long run than finding out what the active codes are in the first place. I suspect AAmco's "Free Check Engine Light" scan may be only for OBD-II cars, which your '95 is not. Keep in mind that your 95 uses OBD-1.5, NOT OBD-I or OBD-II. The scan tools are pretty specific and only select shops have them. It will be great for you if aamco can scan your codes for free, but it's possible that they don't have the right computer.
Back to top Go down
RivieraRyan
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 pm

So should I order the motor mounts? Are they the right ones for my car? And are u saying its just the rubber they are selling?
Back to top Go down
nigelf
Enthusiast
nigelf

Name : Nigel
Merit : 20

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 1:17 pm

i purchased the mount and yes it is only the rubber and its not the right size!

the tube that goes through the rubber that you bolt on is too short and requires spacers either side! It fits into the bracket but is distorted. Ive not fitted mine yet.

Nigel
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 1:21 pm

the front trans mount is very easy to fill with some urethane. i use the 3M window fast weld from the local auto store. ($18) harder than the rubber and made a huge improvement in shifting shake. i also squeezed some of it in the rear mount as well.
wear gloves and let it cure at least 24hrs. you can pull the front mount easy just support the motor.

as for the side engine mount you can do the same with it, but i've yet to see one of them really get bad as it's pretty solid.

Back to top Go down
Eldo
Expert
Eldo

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 1:35 pm

deekster_caddy wrote:

You can't just throw parts at a code. It will cost you more in parts in the long run than finding out what the active codes are in the first place. I suspect AAmco's "Free Check Engine Light" scan may be only for OBD-II cars, which your '95 is not. Keep in mind that your 95 uses OBD-1.5, NOT OBD-I or OBD-II. The scan tools are pretty specific and only select shops have them.

I would add that any GM dealer (Buick, GMC, Pontiac, etc.) will have an appropriate scan-tool, and I can't imagine a minimum charge of more than $50, worst case scenario...
Back to top Go down
RivieraRyan
Enthusiast

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 4:44 pm

Hmmm.....as far as these mounts go it seems very difficult to obtain them w/o purchasing them from the dealer at 300 a piece which I don't have and refuse to do so I guess my next question is what is the best possible remedy? I saw the hockey puck thing but that appears to be to difficult for me or my mechanic and apparantly the ones on the website are wrong as well. I dunno what to do but I need to alleviate this issue asap. My mechanic said he would replace the front and back mounts for 130 but I need the mounts! Damn gm! And I will see what happens w/ the check engine light on Thursday...
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 5:15 pm

As Mr.Riviera mentioned above, you could fill the mounts with urethane. Anyone know if there is information or a write-up on how to do this?

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
deekster_caddy
Master

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 5:20 pm

I don't know if the hockey puck/LeSabre foot mount works on the '95/series 1. I have only seen it done on the series 2 motors.

Filling the mounts with urethane seems to be your best option. Remove the motor mount and see what you can do with it! I'm about to do the same thing to my car.
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 6:25 pm

AA wrote:
As Mr.Riviera mentioned above, you could fill the mounts with urethane. Anyone know if there is information or a write-up on how to do this?
The only way I know is to either remove the mounts, clean the rubber parts very good with Brake Clean and/or acetone and fill the voids with Urethane and let cure for at least 24 hours before install, or Lift weight off engine and mounts by jacking on the oil pan slightly and carefully without distorting it, just enough to take the weight off the mounts and clean out the mounts as mentioned and fill with black urethane adhesive, let cure, without dropping weight on them, and then see if the vibrations stop.
By the way the Black Urethane that I was told to use is the same stuff as the Glass Shops use to seal windshields.
Maybe someone else can confirm or deny that this is the product to use for a temporary/permanent fix.
Back to top Go down
robotennis61
Guru
robotennis61

Name : robotennis
Merit : 143

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 6:31 pm

i still don't see how the vibration can be that bad? my riv has blown mounts and she shakes less than some new cars? sure the problem isn't elsewhere?
Back to top Go down
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 6:36 pm

Oh, I'm sure he has another problem or two that is exacerbating the vibration issue.
But sometimes it just takes new guys a little time to understand.
I am not being condescending, I had both my front and rear mounts replaced while the Trans was out for rebuild to help solve an issue that wasn't solved by replacing the mounts. Even though they were very obviously shot and needed replacement.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Riviera
Expert
Mr.Riviera

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 7:25 pm

Rick, i used the windshield urethane. it's pretty easy to work with b/c it comes in a tube for caulk guns.
i cant verify that the 95's have the same front mounts as the 96+ but if you fix only the front trans mount it should be quite an improvement. Only 2 bolts to remove, but you have to pull the lower plastic gaurd off to access one of the bolts. be sure to support the motor with a jack and block of wood too.

Mine is still holding up very well even with me racing it all the time. i didnt even clean out the old rubber, just filled the voids and cracks with the urethane and let it sit 24hrs off the car.

Aaron, no write up for this fix but i took a few pics a long time ago to make a write-up if needed. i'll have to find them and add them to the trans mount thread.

on another note, when i had the motor jacked up i tried to squeeze as much urethane in the voids of the rear mount as possible, but there is little to no room to work.
I did have the idea of shoving a synthetic cork in the space where the rubber has cracked, but i wasnt sure if it would hold up.

Back to top Go down
Hard4unot2
Amateur
Hard4unot2

Name : Herb
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Trans Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 1:41 pm

Found out why my Riv slams into Reverse when cold...Trans Mount. $100 at AutoZone... how much should I pay for installation? Thanks
Back to top Go down
http://hseintegrated.com
Rickw
Guru

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 1:49 pm

Front or Rear mount.?
Makes a big difference in labor time needed to it.
Rear is much more involved than the front mount.
Back to top Go down
Hard4unot2
Amateur
Hard4unot2

Name : Herb
Merit : 0

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 13, 2010 1:50 pm

Rear, Rick.
Back to top Go down
http://hseintegrated.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts   motor mounts - FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Engine/Transmission Motor Mounts
Page 4 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next