Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

Exhaust tips?

Go down 
+55
BMD
BrianEsser
florence_x
VJD2
Abaddon
Rickw
Snowdog
DEMonte1997
L67
ewolfe0050
ghost88
97rivsc
#1BearsFan
deekster_caddy
sburch23
KillaKeninaRiv
riviera2454
manofmany
1wickedninja
SuperRiv07
Chicken
IBx1
Ridin-Rivi
ibmoses
99 Riviera 99
oldsman105
Sag
robotennis61
nothincame2mind
albertj
TonySmooth89
Shintsu
palermocorey90
Andysdorm
jrocha
99Rivman
jimmyriv
turtleman
97rivman
97Riv-Jon
SpaceBar
Buapo
Jack the R
Orca
ender467
racinfan
1998 Riv
TType_Riviera
¤DoughBoy¤
jax95riv
Mr.Riviera
xxsupergman25xx
AA
T Riley
Jason
59 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Shintsu
Expert

Name : Shintsu
Merit : -16

Exhaust tips? - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Exhaust tips?   Exhaust tips? - Page 8 EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 10:08 pm

albertj wrote:
I think you're on your own here.

Albertj
Thanks evil

It's not like I'm not trying here, but I don't wanna drop $100+ on tips I can't use or that will seriously hamper the cars performance (Well, as much as a U-bend on a GTP would anyway).
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 180

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust tips?   Exhaust tips? - Page 8 EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 10:14 pm

My point is not so much about you as it is about me.

Unless and until you take some mesurements and map things out, I've reached the limit of my ability to be helpful. I'm just admitting that.

So, as I said - I think you're on your own here.

Albertj
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

Merit : 105

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust tips?   Exhaust tips? - Page 8 EmptySat Jan 10, 2009 10:33 pm

Shintsu wrote:
Well, I did that same search and I found this which does look nice but I'm not sure it has the same effect:
Dual Exhaust Tips Dual Outlet $55

The $50 ones sure look like they'd flow better. May not make a difference since you're not modding heavy. I don't think you'd notice the difference in the look too much with them tucked up tight under the bumper. No one's going to see that black part (probably why Mercedes left it black instead of chroming it - it's a cheap out thing rather than a style thing IMO.) The $50 pair look like they're round rather than oval, but if you keep looking you'll find an oval set.

I'd save $50 + whatever the labor of adapting the Merc set would cost and put it towards clear cornering lenses or getting the scratches buffed out of your paint.
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust tips?   Exhaust tips? - Page 8 EmptySun Jan 11, 2009 2:55 am

Those scratches aren't coming out, that means a new paint job and I'm not spending that kind of dollar to get this old and high mile of a car painted. I gather you mean clear as in cleaned up? They're already clear unless they're dirty (which mine are slightly). I never found that Clear whatever stuff everyone was using at the store and never got around to ordering it either.

I was actually starting to lean towards those other ones due to the ease of mounting and the 304 stainless steel - I had no idea they were round. Do you think that would really make them look that bad? I'm not objected to the round as opposed to oval shaped ones. If I can I'll try and take some measurements tomorrow.

I could get these:
Dual oval outlets

But they just lack something those tips do have. And they're $55 shipped (Free shipping). I'm really liking them since they're similar in that they're recessed like the Mercedes tips (the most important part of their look I like than the ovals).
Back to top Go down
TonySmooth89
Aficionado
TonySmooth89

Name : Anthony
Merit : 16

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust tips?   Exhaust tips? - Page 8 EmptySun Jan 11, 2009 10:37 am

IMO , the piping after the muffler is so bent up anyway , that if you put a new pipe with a downward bend that was a little straighter , you'd probably break even or even improve flow.

I like the mercedes tips the best too , but i think the second ones you posted would look just about as good.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust tips?   Exhaust tips? - Page 8 EmptySun Jan 11, 2009 2:00 pm

Those dual oval outlets look good. I wouldn't mind having a pair myself.
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust tips?   Exhaust tips? - Page 8 EmptySun Jan 11, 2009 4:17 pm

The only problem I have with the dual oval outlets - they're not recessed. One isn't slightly longer than the other and that is the look I really want. I'm still thinking on it but I like both of the first two I posted, although the second ones I posted are much easier to mount and won't need some funky bend going up and then down. Decisions, decisions!
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust tips?   Exhaust tips? - Page 8 EmptySun Jan 11, 2009 4:47 pm

You could make them go into the corners and point a little outward instead of in the center and straight out, evening out the difference between the dropoff in the tips... If they have to customize a bend to go down, they could easily turn it out. Would add a little uniqueness too. You don't want them too recessed or they won't look good! (What's the point if nobody can see them?)

Anyone good with photoshop in that regard?
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust tips?   Exhaust tips? - Page 8 EmptySun Jan 11, 2009 5:16 pm

My factory tips are just how you describe Derek:
Spoiler:

New problem regarding the tips though - the auction for those ones for $55 ends in three hours. I have to make up my mind on those quick (Not because anyone else has bidded or will, but it will be taken off and I don't know that it would come back and it's the one and only pair of tips I've seen that look like that). I'm very much thinking about going with them I just have to measure length and see how they'd mount and if I would have an impossible bend in pipe to make them fit the way I'd like (Hopefully not).

EDIT: Nevermind...some jerk bought it before I even got out the door to measure the space...I friggin' hate eBay.

Last edited by Shintsu on Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Cleaned up for niceness)
Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust tips?   Exhaust tips? - Page 8 EmptySun Jan 11, 2009 6:59 pm

The good thing about ebay is you'll probably see the same tips in a few days. You could also do a general internet search and see where they are coming from... Ask the seller if he has any more.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust tips?   Exhaust tips? - Page 8 EmptySun Jan 11, 2009 9:05 pm

These are pricey (about like the Merc tips), but what about these flowmaster Corvette tips -

Exhaust tips? - Page 8 15369

Link

My eye may be fooling me but they look staggered.

If these cost too much I think you can find what you're looking for if you keep searching.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust tips?   Exhaust tips? - Page 8 EmptySun Jan 11, 2009 9:14 pm

These are definitely staggered, maybe angle cut -

Link

(big pic)

$75 each at Labree Motorsports -

Link
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust tips?   Exhaust tips? - Page 8 EmptySun Jan 11, 2009 9:33 pm

I got lucky, asked the seller if he had another set and he did - exact same price and shipping cost. That was a close one. I did my measurements and it will fit but I may need some aftermarket mufflers (on my eventual to do list anyway) to make them fit just the way I like (I planned to just use my dad's mini turbos off the GTP - shouldn't be too loud since someone here had cherry bombs and they weren't too loud with the resonator on and mini turbos are quieter than cherry bombs for sure. I'll post some mock pictures when they arrive of me holding them to the car. Do you think duck tape is strong enough to hold them for the purpose of taking a picture of them mounted the way I like?
Back to top Go down
#1BearsFan
Enthusiast
#1BearsFan

Name : Bill
Merit : 4

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust tips?   Exhaust tips? - Page 8 EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 7:27 pm

Shouldnt be a problem as long as everything is cold.
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust tips?   Exhaust tips? - Page 8 EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 11:54 pm

I got behind an Eldorado today and noticed - exhaust tips exactly like Shintsu wanted! I thought to myself - "Hey, same chassis as the Riv, right? Maybe we've been making this too hard!

But then I looked down and noticed - instead of the exhaust wrapping around the spare tire area like ours does and going into that stupid T-pipe, the ETC exhaust angles into where the spare tire is on a Riv and goes into a Y-pipe!

I haven't been able to find a pic of the exhaust layout on the net. Here's a pic of the tips -

Link

As far as I can tell the Eldo uses a compact spare tire, and it looks like there's a spare tire cover in the same area as ours -

Link

Is it possible there's a less restrictive rear exhaust that would bolt right up to the Riv? One you could get cheap from a yard? If anyone has an ETC in their area, how about snapping a few pics of the rear exhaust?
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust tips?   Exhaust tips? - Page 8 EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 12:23 am

Huh, right you are. I hadn't seen too many Eldorados around lately (or at least the backs) to notice their tips. One thing they do lack though - shiny shiny chrome. I foresee in my head tips so ridiculously shiny that I'm going to have the problem I did when I basically spit polished my rims - I'm going to stare everyime I walk in the living room and can see the car since I'm almost always backed in.

If it weren't so ghetto I'd put these on the Riv:
Gold Cadillac Tips
However it says Eldorado as well - perhaps the Eldorado tips are just clamp ons over some cheesy little pipe? That would most certainly not work for the Riv if it were the case.

While I was looking at that guys stuff on eBay he has some stuff that could make our Rivs look cool given the right placement:
GM Performance Division - Seems fitting for the Riviera, hehe we could be considered part of the performance division. Especially some of the Rivs on here!

GM chrome badges - While some might not like this branding, it would make our cars look like they were still made especially given the unique design. Just a thought...

Gold GM badges - Same as above only gold. Would look great on someones Riv that had the gold appearance package. Is it possible to buy that stuff btw?

I would go to a junkyard and look but they forecasted snow for the next two or three days and a high of like 19 degrees - I think I'll pass...cold

Oh and Jack on those Flowmaster tips - they're not staggered. Corvette tips are usually in that quad fashion so they're usually straight across. They look sweet but somehow I'm not sure they'd look right on the Riv.

Last edited by Shintsu on Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:29 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Jack the R
Master
Jack the R

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust tips?   Exhaust tips? - Page 8 EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 1:02 am

The ones in the pic need to be polished. They're shiny in real life.
Back to top Go down
Shintsu
Expert

PostSubject: Re: Exhaust tips?   Exhaust tips? - Page 8 EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 4:45 pm

Buick Riviera: $3,200
Dual chrome exhaust tips: $55
Labor to have them put on with miniturbo mufflers: $80