Riv Performance
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 8th Gen Riviera Resource

HomeDashboardLatest imagesSearchRiviera Questions & AnswersWrite-Ups IndexRegisterRelated LinksLog in

FAQ: Horn Problems

Go down 
+57
Rivnut
LARRY70GS
Thrashed
wilmot06
ejeraser
manofmany
denim
charlieRobinson
winriv95
flyineagle96
turtleman
Z-type
bigdave
Abaddon
Apprazur
LaFlare
95rivy
Eldo
Derek
moldymac
Supernatural Aspirations
L67
GMFreak8
woggy
lotaguns
jamie
curious riv
GroundReaper
steve1173
Rickw
1995 Riv
Bushytea
blackbart95
gliderguy
lionfish
albertj
Shintsu
ibmoses
T Riley
BillBoost37
1998 Riv
madmaxrex
Jeremy
deekster_caddy
mfmseadrift
¤DoughBoy¤
98Riv4Sale
robertwolf86
'96reese
NO 4 EVR
AA
SpaceBar
jax95riv
racinfan
Mr.Riviera
gosloriv
2toneRivi
61 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
winriv95
Rookie

Name : PGH Piper
Merit : 0

FAQ: Horn Problems - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Horn Problems   FAQ: Horn Problems - Page 7 EmptySun May 15, 2011 8:32 am

Nope every thing else is good nothing else is working properly
Back to top Go down
charlieRobinson
Expert
charlieRobinson

Name : Charlie
Merit : 31

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Horn Problems   FAQ: Horn Problems - Page 7 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 6:37 am

My horn is messed up too! I had a close call last week with an old guy in a minivan. He almost nailed me and not having a horn was like wanting to scream without a voice! mad

I gotta get this fixed!

The horn barely makes a noise. It's so quiet it takes effort to hear it. Any ideas of what it might be?

Back to top Go down
denim
Junkie
denim

Name : Sean
Merit : 33

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Horn Problems   FAQ: Horn Problems - Page 7 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 1:58 pm

I've decided that AlData is AllDooDoo.
A pro user may be able to find exactly what he seeks quickly, but that's not me.
Can't wait until I get my manuals via post. And please tell me there are lots of photos to reference.
A pox upon Haynes for not taking an interest in the Riviera!

Anyway, Can someone tell me the hands on, direct route to removing my horns?
I know they're buried in the front end, left and right, but I can't see them without removing something. Since I like a plan before I waste my time, Which panel will give me access?

BTW, I am without Merit. I am without Friends. Does one need a Riv tatoo on forehead smile I think Rodney Dangerfield tried that without results. But I can do this bounce
Back to top Go down
AA
Administrator
AA

Name : Aaron
Merit : 252

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Horn Problems   FAQ: Horn Problems - Page 7 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 2:08 pm

The horns can be removed through the wheel wells. It's easiest to lift the car, remove the front wheel(s), and remove the plastic lining in the well. The horns are clipped to the insides of the wells. Not too difficult to do if you have a panel clip removal tool.

'05 GTO 6.0L • 6-spd • 95k miles • 0-60: 4.8s • 16.9 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:26

'95 Celica GT 2.2L • 5-spd • 165k miles • 0-60: yes

'98 SC Riviera • 281k miles • 298 HP/370 TQ • 0-60: 5.79s • ET: 13.97 @ 99.28 • 4087 lb • 20.1 avg MPG • Nelson Ledges Lap: 1:30
3.4" pulley • AL104 plugs • 180º t-stat • FWI w/K&N • 1.9:1 rockers • OR pushrods • LS6 valve springs • SLP headers • ZZP fuel rails
KYB GR2 struts • MaxAir shocks • Addco sway bars • UMI bushings • GM STB • Enkei 18" EV5s w/ Dunlop DZ101s • F-body calipers
EBC bluestuff/Hawk HP plus • SS lines • Brembo slotted discs • DHP tuned • Aeroforce • Hidden Hitch

^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown

'70 Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe 455cid • 116k miles
^^^ SOLD ^^^ frown
Back to top Go down
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657082/4
denim
Junkie
denim

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Horn Problems   FAQ: Horn Problems - Page 7 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 2:34 pm

Thanks. That info will help me plan my time.
After horns, I only need to troubleshoot the cruise, then the leveling system, determine if the ABS is working, replace struts and shocks, and rain-x the rear window like crazy since GM didn't design-in a rear wiper for winter use. Perhaps it was a styling consideration.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :
Merit : 181

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Horn Problems   FAQ: Horn Problems - Page 7 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 5:45 pm

AA wrote:
The horns can be removed through the wheel wells. It's easiest to lift the car, remove the front wheel(s), and remove the plastic lining in the well. The horns are clipped to the insides of the wells. Not too difficult to do if you have a panel clip removal tool.

It is easiest to lift the car & remove the wheel to work on the horns. However, you **can** do it with car on ground and wheels on (I have done so) but it's really kinda tight and disorienting because you are always on your back. Wear safety glasses so crap does not fall in your eyes.

If you buy a pair of replacement horns you may want to get some mild steel repair straps instead of the little brackets the horns will come with, for mounting. You can reuse the connectors off your old horns (they are on with rivets just drill them out) or buy new connectors at larger parts stores or at GM dealers. That way you don't have to splice into car wiring, which would be a pain if you're already on your back trying to reach up into that narrow space to do anything. If you buy the horns from GM (just saying) they should come with replacement connectors and jumpers.

If you are careful about it you can mount *one pair* of horns under each fender. That's what I did, and as my sig says my horns are D-E A and F, a pair under each fender. I used mid steel plate to make up mount hardware for the extra horn on each side, and common hardware to fasten them except I did use the locking nuts with nylon inserts. Most likely mild steel strap would work fine. Be sure the straps are stout and the bolts tight or else the installation itself will become annoying (rattles).

Albertj
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Horn Problems   FAQ: Horn Problems - Page 7 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 5:48 pm

denim wrote:
Thanks. That info will help me plan my time.
After horns, I only need to troubleshoot the cruise, then the leveling system, determine if the ABS is working, replace struts and shocks, and rain-x the rear window like crazy since GM didn't design-in a rear wiper for winter use. Perhaps it was a styling consideration.

I've never needed a rear wiper; at parkway or better speeds the window stays quite clear.
Back to top Go down
denim
Junkie
denim

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Horn Problems   FAQ: Horn Problems - Page 7 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 7:24 pm

I can't hit parkway speeds backing out of my driveway, so it's rain-X or get out and wipe the back window down. Besides, I get the same lake-effect snow you do, usually after you do:) Guess I'm spoiled from other rides... wiping isn't gonna happen. Still, as blasphemic as it may sound, I'll ponder an adaptation of a wiper, if it can blend with the lines.
Thanks for the horn data. smile
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Horn Problems   FAQ: Horn Problems - Page 7 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 7:40 pm

denim wrote:
I can't hit parkway speeds backing out of my driveway, so it's rain-X or get out and wipe the back window down. Besides, I get the same lake-effect snow you do, usually after you do:) Guess I'm spoiled from other rides... wiping isn't gonna happen. Still, as blasphemic as it may sound, I'll ponder an adaptation of a wiper, if it can blend with the lines.
Thanks for the horn data. smile

Wiper's gotta go thru the glass or be attached at the roof. Hopefully rain-x will work for you. Snow has not been a problem for me.
Back to top Go down
manofmany
Addict

Name : manofmany
Merit : 5

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Horn Problems   FAQ: Horn Problems - Page 7 EmptyThu Sep 29, 2011 9:39 pm

This has begun to happen to me. Haven't ready through the thread yet but I just wanted to mention that people give me all sorts of crazy looks as I'm throwing right hooks and straight jabs to the steering wheel. It eventually goes off. Pretty embarrassing but funny.
Back to top Go down
ejeraser
Rookie

Name : Eric

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Horn Problems   FAQ: Horn Problems - Page 7 EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 12:22 am

I have pinpointed my horn issue. However It looks like I am in need of a horn Ring does anyone know where I can purchase a horn ring? Also where is the best place to get a horn for the 95 buick riviera.
Back to top Go down
ejeraser
Rookie

Name : Eric

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Horn Problems   FAQ: Horn Problems - Page 7 EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 12:23 am

where did you get your horn ring from? I need one for my horn.
Back to top Go down
wilmot06
Special
wilmot06

Name : Michelle

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Horn Problems   FAQ: Horn Problems - Page 7 EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 10:47 pm

My horn was super sensitive. At 2 am on a below freezing morning horn went off. Which was the alarm, unlocked then locked door, alarm shut off. Next morning horn wouldn't work, fuse was blown. Replaced fuse, horn wont shut off...keeps blowing. So removed fuse, no horn. Obvious issues with the horn & buick rivieras....just want to know what needs to be replaced to fix it, need a horn.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Horn Problems   FAQ: Horn Problems - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 4:05 am

wilmot06 wrote:
My horn was super sensitive. At 2 am on a below freezing morning horn went off. Which was the alarm, unlocked then locked door, alarm shut off. Next morning horn wouldn't work, fuse was blown. Replaced fuse, horn wont shut off...keeps blowing. So removed fuse, no horn. Obvious issues with the horn & buick rivieras....just want to know what needs to be replaced to fix it, need a horn.

most likely it's the horn switch under the soft cover of the air bag. That cover was the same for the Riv, Buick LeSabre, Buick Skylark of about 1996-99 -- if you go to an auto recycling yard (not a pick and pull) they should be able to help you get one that can be installed in your car and will work. You will need the factory service manual for the instructions on installing it safely, first key is to depower the airbag then you need to disassemble the steering wheel. I think this can be done in place so you probably don't have to pull the wheel -- but no kidding you will need to refer to the FSM for this one or have someone knowledgeable do it for you. It is not difficult at all just a little time consuming and there is not any room for creativity or error in following the airbag depowering instructions.
Back to top Go down
Thrashed
Rookie

Name : James
Merit : -2

PostSubject: wiring question   FAQ: Horn Problems - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 6:42 pm

what wires connect the horn to the steering wheel? Specifically which one in the column wiring harness are responsible for the horn, I'm trying to install an external horn button .
Back to top Go down
Thrashed
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Horn Problems   FAQ: Horn Problems - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 7:48 pm

you know what, Forget I even asked.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

Name : Larry
Merit : 149

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Horn Problems   FAQ: Horn Problems - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 8:24 pm

Thrashed wrote:
you know what, Forget I even asked.

So you don't get your answer fast enough and throw a hissy fit? You got to have some patience, sometimes the answers don't come that fast. The horn button in the air bag grounds the horn relay through a black wire in the column.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCda-t_Jls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfT2tEO4XcU
Back to top Go down
Thrashed
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Horn Problems   FAQ: Horn Problems - Page 7 EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 9:39 pm

The last time I asked a similar question, I got 91 views and not a single response. Sorry I was abrupt. So whats the hot, The Relay? I'm presuming when the ground makes contact directly with the relay it creates a circuit and makes the horn sound?
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Horn Problems   FAQ: Horn Problems - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 8:07 am

The ground is for the relay (under the hood fuse box) The relay has the power. The horn is a problem in our cars. The air bag has the horn switches, which ground the relay.

Back to top Go down
Thrashed
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Horn Problems   FAQ: Horn Problems - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 7:30 pm

Okay and what pin is the ground wire on? and is it on the black side or the white side?
Back to top Go down
Thrashed
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Horn Problems   FAQ: Horn Problems - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 7:31 pm

Black side or grey side rather.
Back to top Go down
LARRY70GS
Aficionado
LARRY70GS

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Horn Problems   FAQ: Horn Problems - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 7:46 pm

I have no idea. Try testing with a multi meter. Attach one side to the relay, and probe the wire at the column. You should be able to isolate which one it is. These cars are very complicated and have a lot of wiring. The only way to sort it out is to spend many hours with a meter and the Factory Service manual(FSM). This BB is really good for these cars, but it is no substitute for the FSM and a meter. Wish I could help you more.

Back to top Go down
Thrashed
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Horn Problems   FAQ: Horn Problems - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 8:39 pm

I've got a spare wiring harness for my column, I'll just experiment. Thank you for your help.
Back to top Go down
albertj
Master
albertj

Name :

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Horn Problems   FAQ: Horn Problems - Page 7 EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 8:39 pm

Thrashed wrote:
what wires connect the horn to the steering wheel? Specifically which one in the column wiring harness are responsible for the horn, I'm trying to install an external horn button .

...if you are trying to install an external horn button because the switch in the airbag cover is no longer working (is shorted so horn is always on, usually) you might try contacting junkyards. The airbag cover used on the Rivs was the same as on a number of other Buicks in the '90s and a junkyard with access to the Hollander (most have this) probably has or can get one for you without too much hassle.

One problem is that, for instance, NY law says the junkyards can't sell airbags. So the yards often just blow them. If you ask the yard ahead of time however, getting the **cover** is doable and does not create issues for the yard. But they have to know in advance of blowing the bag out, to take the cover off for you then blow the bag. A minor detail...

Also, you may find these pages concerning the 1998 Buick LeSabre informative:

http://www.fixya.com/cars/t14115190-1998_buick_lesabre_no_start_sec_light
http://www.fixya.com/cars/t685518-1998_lasabre_horn_sounding

The reason you need a factory manual is the wiring colors are not necessarily the same model to model on GM cars.

Albertj

Back to top Go down
deekster_caddy
Master

Name : Derek
Merit : 109

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Horn Problems   FAQ: Horn Problems - Page 7 EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 10:00 am

Junkyards are required to blow the airbags? No wonder this industry is so screwed up...

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/10/10/government-to-warn-motorists-tens-thousands-may-have-counterfeit-air-bags/

sorry to detract from your horn question.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FAQ: Horn Problems   FAQ: Horn Problems - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

FAQ: Horn Problems
Page 7 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next